Title IX - Reporting Harassment / Discrimination
The School Board takes seriously its obligations to ensure that no student or employee suffers discrimination on the basis of sex, as defined in Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972. Title IX is a federal law, enacted in 1972 states: No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
Title IX protects people from discrimination based on sex in educational programs or activities that receive financial assistance. Under Title IX, discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment, which is defined as conduct on the basis of sex that satisfies one or more of the following:
An employee of the District conditioning the provision of an aid, benefit, or service of the District on participation in unwelcome conduct;
Unwelcome conduct that a reasonable person would determine to be so severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive that it effectively denies a person equal access to the District’s education program or activity;
Sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking, as defined by applicable law.
Any person may report sex discrimination, including sexual harassment (whether or not the person reporting is the person alleged to be the victim of conduct that could constitute sex discrimination or sexual harassment), in person, by mail, by telephone, or by electronic mail, using the contact information listed for the Title IX Coordinator, or by any other means that results in the Title IX Coordinator receiving the person’s verbal or written report. Such a report may be made at any time (including during non-business hours) by using the telephone number or electronic mail address, or by mail to the office address, listed for the Title IX Coordinator.
After a report of sexual harassment has been made, the school and/or Title IX Coordinator will reach out to the individual affected by the alleged misconduct, provide supportive measures, discuss the grievance policy, and offer the opportunity for the complainant to file a formal complaint if the behavior meets the Title IX definition of sexual harassment. If a formal complaint is filed, appropriate steps will be taken to investigate. Upon completing the investigation, the outcome will be shared with all stakeholders.
In the Title IX process, if a person does not like the outcome of the decision maker, they can appeal to the Appellant Decision Maker for a review of the case.
Training Materials 2021-2022
- Title IX Basics: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k12-title-ix-basics/
- Title IX Investigator / Decision-Maker Level 1: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k12-title-ix-investigator-decision-maker-level-1/
- Title IX Coordinator: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k-12-title-ix-coordinator/
- Title IX Decision-Maker Appeals: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k12-title-ix-appellate-decision-makers/
- Title IX Coordinator Refresher: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k-12-2021-coordinator-refresher/
- 2021 Investigator Refresher and Update Course: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k-12-2021-investigator-refresher/
- 2021 Decision-Maker Refresher and Update Course: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k-12-2021-decision-maker-refresher/
- Title IX Informal Resolution: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k-12-title-ix- informal-resolution/
- Title IX Athletics: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review-k-12-title-ix-athletics/
- Title IX Putting Policy Into Practice Series: https://icslawyer.com/posting-for-review- putting-policy-into-practice-k-12/
Title IX Email: TitleIX@KeysSchools.com
Executive Director, Personnel Support and Instructional Leadership
Title IX Coordinator for Employee Matters
241 Trumbo Rd.
Key West, FL. 33040
305-293-1400 Ext. 53330
Dr. Lesley Thompson
Director, Exceptional Student Education
Title IX Coordinator for Student Matters
255 Crane Blvd.
Sugarloaf Key, FL. 33042
305-293-1400 Ext. 53378