Kindergarten Standards Based Grading
In our first quarter of school, our students have been learning so much and are beginning to work towards mastery of the kindergarten standards. There are many standards taught in each subject throughout the year and you will review student progress for each of them during teacher conferences. However, only the Florida priority standards are printed on the report card. First quarter report cards will be available the second week of October. If you have not arranged your teacher-conference yet, please contact your child's teacher.
In kindergarten, we use standards-based reporting which measures growth on a 3, 2, 1, NE (Not Evident) scale instead of traditional A,B,C, D, F letter grades. As the standards expand, the performance expectation grows too. During the first 9 weeks, your child is only expected to demonstrate 1- Beginning. By the end of the year, the expectation is 3- Meets standards. To see a sample of the Monroe County Schools standards-based reporting template click here. As always, please reach out to your child's teacher with any questions or concerns.
Student progress towards mastery is reported for each subject’s priority standards:
- ELA (reading and writing): 10 standards (All 10 will be taught and assessed each 9 weeks)
- Math- 10 standards (2 will be taught and assessed first 9 weeks)
- Science/Health- 9 standards (3 will be taught and assessed first 9 weeks)
- Social Studies- 6 standards (2 will be taught and assessed first 9 weeks)
Standards Proficiency Scale:
- 3- Meets standard: Proficiency of grade level concepts and skills with accuracy, quality, and independence.
- 2- Approaching standard: Progress towards grade level concepts and skills given support and assistance.
- 1-Beginning demonstration of standard: Beginning to understand grade level concepts and skills given support and assistance.
- NE- Not evident: Not yet demonstrating understanding of grade level concepts.