21st Century Learning Progam
The 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) initiative is a key component of the No Child Left Behind Act. Authorized under Title IV, Part B, of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, the specific purposes of the federal law are to:
- Provide opportunities for academic enrichment, including providing tutorial services to help students, particularly students who attend low-performing schools, to meet state and local student academic achievement standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and mathematics.
- Offer students a broad array of additional services, programs, and activities, such as youth development activities, drug and violence prevention programs, counseling programs, art, music, and recreation programs, technology education programs and character education programs, that are designed to reinforce and complement the regular academic program of participating students.
- Offer families of students served by community learning centers opportunities for literacy and related educational development.
This program supports the creation of community learning centers that provide academic enrichment opportunities during non-school hours for children, particularly students who attend high-poverty and low-performing schools. The program helps students meet state and local student standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and math; offers students a broad array of enrichment activities that can complement their regular academic programs; and offers literacy and other educational services to the families of participating children.
Types of Projects:
Gerald Adams Elementary may carry out a broad array of before- and after-school activities (including those held during summer recess periods) to advance student achievement. These activities include:
- Remedial education activities and academic enrichment learning programs, including those which provide additional assistance to students to allow the students to improve their academic achievement;
- Mathematics and science education activities;
- Arts and music education activities;
- Entrepreneurial education programs;
- Tutoring services, including those provided by senior citizen volunteers, and mentoring programs;
- Programs that provide after-school activities for limited English proficient (LEP) students and that emphasize language skills and academic achievement;
- Recreational activities;
- Telecommunications and technology education programs;
- Expanded library service hours;
- Programs that promote parental involvement and family literacy;
- Programs that provide assistance to students who have been truant, suspended, or expelled to allow them to improve their academic achievement;
- Drug and violence prevention programs;
- Counseling programs; and
- Character education programs.
Important 21st Century Information
Attendance is mandatory to ensure your child’s spot in the program. If your child has seasonal sports, doctor’s appointments, or engagements throughout the school year, please communicate this with Ashley Henriquez, so the absence may be excused. 5 unexcused absences will result in dismissal from the program. (ASHLEY.HENRIQUEZ@KEYSSCHOOLS.COM)
Students are to be picked up between 5:20-5:30 daily Monday thru Thursday, or a bus service is provided. Picking up students early without a valid excuse will also result in removal from the program.
Fridays the program is offered, however there is no bus service on Fridays and the program ends at 5:00 P.M. (sharp).
Picking up students late will result in a $10.00 daycare fee, as staff is not available after 5:30, the fee will have to be paid in full before your child may attend the program again. If 2 absences accrue due to non-payment, the spot will be given to another child. On early release days, 21st Century is not available, however Daycare is available for $10.00 (for just the half day).
Good behavior is expected in the after school program as the program is a privilege, if issues arise and are re-occurring; dismissal from the program may result.
The students in 21st Century are allotted approximately 25 minutes to do homework, thereafter they do Project Based Learning, where an essential question is asked and by completing a hands on project, they answer the question posed to them. Thereafter, students partake in “SPARK” a physical activity program, gardening, hip hop dance, ballet, yoga, computer lab, reader’s theatre, step boxing, flag football, and/or art club. If any parent has an interest or talent that you would like to share with our students, MCSD approved parent volunteers are ALWAYS WELCOME!
IMPORTANT PARENT WORKSHOP DATES:
Oct. 16 Local service providers/Parent university FEB 28ST Home Financial Management
March 26 Understanding Student report cards APRIL 25 Ways to Support Your Child’s education
MAY 1 Making Healthy Decisions MAY 23 Positive Discipline for Kids
Workshops will begin at 5:45
IMPORTANT ADVISORY MEETING DATES:
February 28th and April 30th 21st CCLC Advisory Meeting starting at 5:45pm
21st Century Bus Routes
HOBSS AM New Town/Sigsbee PM 7:35 SIGSBEE/GILMORE 2:25 1ST STREET/PATTERSON 7:40 NORTHSIDE/16TH 2:30 VENETIAN/AIRPORT 7:42 CINDY/19TH 2:33 12TH/FLAGLER 7:44 17TH/DUCK 2:34 15TH/DUCK 7:47 15TH/DUCK 2:40 17TH/DUCK 7:49 12TH/FLAGLER 2:42 CINDY/19TH 7:53 VENETIAN/AIRPORT 2:44 NORTHSIDE/16TH 7:58 1ST STREET/PATTERSON 2:50 SIGSBEE/GILMORE 8:00 HOB HOBSS Downtown 7:35 TRUMAN ANNEX/FT ZACH 2:25 PORTER PLACE 7:40 WHITEHEAD (PAST ANGELA) 2:30 EATON/WHITEHEAD 7:43 DOUGLAS GYM 2:32 WHITEHEAD (PAST ANGELA) 7:44 TRUMAN/EMMA 2:35 DOUGLAS GYM 7:47 AMELIA/THOMAS 2:36 TRUMAN/EMMA 7:50 EATON/WHITEHEAD 2:39 AMELIA/THOMAS 7:55 PORTER PLACE 2:45 TRUMAN ANNEX/FT ZACH 8:00 HOB AM HOBSS PM Stock Island 7:05 NAVY CLINIC 2:30 OCEANWALK 7:10 6TH/CROSS 2:35 NAVY CLINIC 7:12 10TH/CROSS 2:40 6TH/CROSS 7:15 12TH/CROSS 2:43 10TH/CROSS 7:18 ROBERTA 2:44 12TH/CROSS 7:21 BERNSTEIN PARK 2:46 ROBERTA 7:25 PINK APTS 2:50 BERNSTEIN PARK 7:30 MERCY'S BAKERY 2:53 PINK APTS 7:34 6500 MALONEY 2:55 MERCY'S BAKERY 7:35 6200 MALONEY 3:00 6500 MALONEY 7:37 ANIMAL CLINIC 3:02 6200 MALONEY 7:38 BANYAN GROVE 3:04 ANIMAL CLINIC 7:40 FLAGLER VILLAGE 3:05 BANYAN GROVE 7:45 OCEANWALK 3:06 FLAGLER VILLAGE 8:00 HOB ELEM