Monroe County School District
Parents must report the absence the day before, the day of, or within two school days following the absence the absence will be considered unexcused.
• Tardy students must be signed-in at the Main Office.**Parent/Guardian notification of an absence does not in-and-itself require the school administration to record the absence as excused**
• Elementary students must be dropped off. Parents must walk students in to the Main Office.
• Excessive tardies may result in revocation of choice hardship.Excused Tardies: illness; medical/dental appts; automobile accident; death or funeral; emergency situations acceptable to the principal; required court appearance; established religion observance; severe weather; and breakdown of school bus. Unexcused Tardies: car problems (e.g., flat tire, no gas, car won’t start, etc.); heavy traffic; overslept; returned for forgotten items; and non-educational appts.
Absences not defined in the excused absence section.
• Absences not documented within two school days.
• Examples include but are not limited to: shopping trips; family vacations/trips; activities that should be conducted outside of the school day (e.g., hair/nail appts, sleeping, doing homework, DMV business, dance lessons); non-school events/programs/sporting activities; and activities more related to parental responsibilities (e.g., babysitting or providing transportation).
• Any unexcused absence will result in a grade penalty for work missed.
•Students leaving early must check out through the Main Office.
•Students have 2 days for each day missed to make up class work upon return to school from an absence.
•After 3 consecutive absences, the teacher determines the due date for make-up work.
•Students are responsible for meeting due dates set prior to an absence (e.g., tests, projects, etc).
•High School: more than 6 missed class periods requires a passing grade on the semester exam to receive course credit towards graduation.
•Middle School: students who miss more than 90% of class time (e.g., 40 days of a 45 day marking period) must demonstrate mastery in order to earn a passing grade in a marking period for a course.
•Students will be referred to the Child Study Team after 5 unexcused absences within a calendar month or 10 unexcused absences within 90 calendar days.
•More than six absences per semester are considered excessive.
•Habitual Truant is defined by law as a student who has 15 unexcused absences within 90 calendar days.
•Truancy Petitions can be filed with the Circuit Court pursuant to §1003.26
•Truant minor students will either have their learner’s/driver’s license suspended or will not be able to receive a learner’s license. §322.091
• Illness or Injury of Student
• Religious Instruction/Holidays of the Student’s Own Faith (3 days notification required)
• Doctor/Dentist Appointment
• Attendance at Student’s IEP Meeting
• Court/Legal Appearances
• Death in the Immediate Family (no more than 7 days)
• Placement at the FL Keys Children’s Shelter
• With Written Permission of the Principal
• Special Event Approved by the Principal
• Communicable Disease/Infestation
Attendance Forms Absence Request Form
Attendance Office Contact Info
305-293-1549 ext. 54320